Anandhi S. Rajan counsels businesses and individuals in matters of potential liability arising from their business operations or actions and handles litigation when disputes arise.
Anandhi's primary area of practice is representing management in employment matters, although she has more than 25 years of experience handling litigation in a wide variety of matters.
Anandhi has litigated claims related to products liability, premises liability, automobile liability, breach of contract, mass torts, civil rights, agency actions brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and other general liability cases. Anandhi also is a trained mediator, registered with the State Bar of Georgia, and provides mediation and arbitration services through BAY Mediation & Arbitration Services.
Her clients comprise a wide range of business entities, including large national retailers, religious organizations, manufacturing entities, staffing agencies, recruiting companies, and automobile dealerships.
Anandhi works to efficiently resolve disputes with practical solutions in line with her clients’ needs and goals. In addition to her extensive experience litigating cases and negotiating settlements in state and federal courts on behalf of businesses and individuals, Anandhi counsels her clients on compliance issues to avoid litigation.
Prior to entering private practice, Anandhi clerked for the Honorable Gail Tusan of the Fulton County Judicial Circuit for two years. She has also served as an adjunct faculty member at Emory University School of Law teaching Advanced Trial Techniques to 2L and 3L students.
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star by Atlanta Magazine, 2005 – 2006
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Leadership Institute for Women of Color Attorneys, President-Elect and Chair of 2020 Conference, Sponsorship Committee Chair (2018), Vice Chair of 2019 Conference, Board of Directors (2013 - present)
- National Business Institute, presenter
- Defense Research Institute, Employment and Labor Law Steering Committee
- National Employment Law Council
- National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association, Board of Directors, 2019 - 2022
- State Bar of Georgia
- BAY Mediation & Arbitration Services, Mediator and Arbitrator, 2013 - present
Ms. Rajan enjoys traveling, reading and going to the movies in her spare time.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for a client in a federal court case, who was alleged to have engaged in national origin discrimination in violation of the Fair Housing Act.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for an asbestos manufacturer. The ruling was affirmed on appeal by the Georgia Court of Appeals, which upheld the Georgia standard that an asbestos plaintiff must present evidence that the defendant's asbestos-containing product was used at the job site and that he or she was in proximity to that product during its use.
- Defended an automobile manufacturer in the trial and appellate stages of a products liability suit in which the plaintiff alleged that a manufacturer’s defect prevented an airbag from deploying. The federal appeals court reversed the district court’s denial of summary judgment on spoliation grounds, finding that the prejudice to the defendant manufacturer caused by the plaintiff’s spoliation of the allegedly defective vehicle was incurable and resulted in a “trial by ambush,” warranting the sanction of dismissal of the suit.
- “Expecting Accommodations: Best Practices for Accommodating Pregnant Employees,” Employee Benefit Plan Review07.26.2018
- Alpharetta Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, 02.26.2019
- DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta, 10.17.2018
- JW Marriott New Orleans, 03.01.2018
- Doubletree by Hilton, 12.06.2017
Publications and Presentations
- "Expecting Accommodations: Best Practices for Accommodating Pregnant Employees," (coauthor), Employee Benefit Plan Review, June 2018
- "Federal Regulations Update," (coauthor), Employment Relations Today, January 2018
- "An Employer's Compliance Guide to Pregnancy Accomodations," HR Dive, January 2018
- "Controlling Unemployment Compensation Costs," NBI Seminar: Human Resource Law from A to Z, February 2019 and October 2018
- “Employment Law Updates in the Era of Trump and the #MeToo Movement,” NRRDA Annual Conference, March 2018
- "The Transforming Workplace - It is Not a Dating Game," NRRDA Annual Conference, March 2017