Sexual Abuse/Sexual Assault
In the wake of the #MeToo movement, cultural attitudes about sexual abuse and assault have begun to shift, giving victims more confidence to speak out about what they have suffered. This leads not only to civil and criminal charges against alleged abusers but also occasionally to claims against third parties. We offer the full range of counsel and representation to schools, medical facilities, churches, apartment complexes, bars and virtually any business or organization in which someone in a position of authority may be accused of sexually assaulting a subordinate.
Over the last several years, we have helped clients resolve dozens of claims involving sexual assault or abuse. We take care to staff these matters sensitively, understanding their delicacy. But when our clients face unfounded or illegitimate claims, we defend them aggressively and have prevailed in such cases at trial.
When clients need to address allegations of sexual assault or abuse, they can depend on our experience to guide them through each step of the process. We counsel on the potential extent of a business or property owner's liability for an individual's sexual misconduct, advise on both internal and external crisis communications, conduct investigations that protect victims without compromising privacy, and advocate respectfully for clients in negotiations and litigation.
While we appreciate the stress that such claims put on everyone involved, we also know that meaningful and impactful changes can arise from these challenges. Particularly after claims are resolved, the need for better preventative measures often becomes readily apparent. We work with clients both proactively and responsively to develop, implement and refine policies aimed at preventing sexual assault or abuse, providing appropriate employee training and supervision, and retaining employment and training documentation. We’re proud to work with our clients, who are universally striving to make their businesses and properties safer environments for everyone whose lives they impact.
- Won defense verdict on behalf of an urgent care clinic that employed a male nurse practitioner accused by a female patient of sexual assault. The relationship was determined to be consensual and the allegation motivated by the nurse’s refusal to continue giving the patient high doses of pain medication.
- Defending a private school in multiple cases of alleged sexual misconduct by a teacher.
- Defended a private school in a case in which a student was accused of sexually assaulting another student while under adult supervision.
News & Insights
- Hotel Management, 05.20.2021
- Today's General Counsel, 04.05.2021