a PROMISE FOR A GREENER FUTURE
Swift Currie recognizes the importance of preserving our environment for the betterment of our employees, clients and our community at large. During the week leading up to Earth Day 2019, the firm issued practical tips and guides to employees with information on how they can “go green” and lead a sustainable lifestyle, local organizations with which they can volunteer and information about preserving local wildlife as a nod to 2019’s theme, “Protect Our Species.” Additionally, employees signed a pledge and identified ways they can protect the environment on Earth Day and beyond and collected donations toward purchasing a carbon offset to neutralize the large impact of travel in the legal industry. Employees also received a reusable straw as a tool to begin reducing waste.
The firm’s Green Team, comprised of attorneys and staff across all sections of the firm, is committed to promoting environmentally sustainable practices at Swift Currie and creating a greener future by:
- Reducing waste and single-use plastics: Swift Currie provides reusable silverware and glassware for employees and guests to reduce and remove waste before it can make it into the stream. Swift Currie employees also make a concerted effort to reuse office supplies as much as possible, such as folders and boxes.
- Recycling: Swift Currie takes recycling seriously and informs employees where to recycle in the office, as well as what items should go in recycling bins. Reminders are posted throughout the firm to ensure all adhere to the policies. The firm also participates in an annual electronic recycling drive hosted by the office building management.
- Encouraging sustainable purchasing practices: Swift Currie gives purchasing preference to Forest Stewardship Council-certified paper and biodegradable items.
- Empowering employees: We empower employees by providing the knowledge to make environmentally conscious decisions at the office and at home through monthly newsletters designed to allow employees to take charge of sustainability in their lives. Employees also take part in activities throughout the year that promote sustainability initiatives. Employees are encouraged to make small behavior modifications with a big impact, such as printing double-sided and going paperless where possible in an effort to reduce the large amount of paper produced by law firms and turning off lights when leaving an office and shutting off computer monitors to save energy.
- Taking action through community service: The firm is passionate about conservation and partners with Trees Atlanta for volunteer events to protect, clean and beautify our city all while reducing carbon footprinting.
The Green Team will continue to assess Swift Currie’s sustainability policies and seek methods to enhance our practices to better serve our environment.