Melissa A. Segel represents insurance carriers and businesses in commercial litigation and insurance coverage matters, with an emphasis on defending against bad faith and fraudulent claims. She works with insurance adjusters, special investigative units (SIU) and insureds in both first- and third-party property and bodily injury loss claims in Georgia, including those related to arson, automobile accidents and theft coverage in homeowner and auto insurance policies.
Melissa previously worked in the insurance industry for more than 10 years and specialized in property and special investigations. With her insurance claims and SIU background, she is uniquely attuned to her clients’ needs and goals which enables her to provide efficient and high-quality service when resolving disputes.
Melissa earned certifications as a Fraud Claim Law Specialist (FCLS), Associate in Claims (AIC) and Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU).
In law school, she served as the associate notes and comments editor for the Georgia State Law Review and earned the Professor David J. Maleski Prize for excellence in torts.
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Georgia Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2013-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2021-Present
- CPCU Society
- Georgia Association of Fire Investigators
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- Metro Fire Investigators Association
- State Bar of Georgia
Defended insureds in multiple third-party neck and back injury claims and obtained favorable jury verdicts, either as defense verdicts or at a value that was significantly less than the cost of the claimant’s medical bills.
- Risk & Insurance, 11.13.2022
- "2019 Georgia Legal Awards - Midsize Firm, Personal Injury Defense: Swift, Currie, McGhee & Hiers,” Daily ReportDaily Report, 06.20.2019
- Webinar, 12.05.2023
- Buford, GA, 03.08.2023
- Swift Currie Attorneys Presenting GA IASIU Virtual Training Session on Fraud, Liability and Coverage Issues in the Sharing EconomyWebinar, 02.10.2021
- Kennesaw State University Continuing Education Center, 03.03.2020
- Anderson Conference Center, 10.25.2019
- JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, 08.16.2019
- Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, 09.10.2017
- "No Stone Unturned: Conducting Thorough, Ethical Investigations in Third-Party Liability Claims and Litigation"CLM Magazine, 06.22.2021
- CLM Magazine, 07.23.2019
- "Litigating Third Party Personal Injury Cases with Litigation Funding Companies Involved," International Association of Special Investigation Units (IASIU) 2017 Seminar (New Orleans, LA), September 10, 2017
Georgia State University College of Law (J.D., 2006)
University of Florida (B.S., 1992)