Lane Finch is an analytical and creative problem solver with over 30 years' experience counseling insurance carriers on a broad range of claims and coverage disputes and litigating claims. He handles a broad spectrum of coverage issues and litigated claims, such as those arising from construction defects, products claims, professional liability, property and casualty claims, catastrophic injury, death and bad faith claims. These matters involve claims running into the millions and even hundreds of millions of dollars.
Lane’s clients benefit from his role and experience as a leader in the insurance industry, including his service as the chair of the DRI's Insurance Law Committee. Through his DRI leadership, Lane is uniquely positioned to stay abreast of the latest trends in insurance issues, including how courts are behaving and in what direction decisions are trending.
Leveraging his vast experience and extensive understanding of insurance coverage and insurance-related litigation, Lane works with clients to reduce their liability through alternative dispute resolution (ADR) or summary judgment. Importantly, he will vigorously defend his client at trial and on appeal when necessary.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2013 – present
- Top Rated Litigator, Legal Leaders, 2020
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, 20+ years
- Super Lawyers® (Business Litigation), 2008-2009
- Outstanding Subcommittee Chair, ABA Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2010-2011
- Alabama State Bar
- State Bar of California
- DRI (Chair, Insurance Law Committee, 2018-present; Vice Chair, Insurance Roundtable, present; additional leadership roles)
- American Bar Association
In the past year, Lane achieved positive results for clients through summary judgment in cases involving claims ranging from just over one million dollars to a class action claim asserting damages of more than $100 million. He was also called in at the last minute to assist in settling a medical malpractice death claim and saved the insurer hundreds of thousands of dollars through aggressive redirection of the litigation and his negotiation skills.
- “14 Swift Currie Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers 2019, R. Briggs Peery Named Lawyer of the Year,” Atlanta CityBizList, Metro Atlanta CEO08.17.2018
- “On the Move: Two Swift Currie Attorneys Appointed to Leadership Roles,” Birmingham Business Journal04.20.2018
- Webinar, 08.19.2020
- Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, 12.05.2019
- Risk Management, 09.23.2020
- DRI For the Defense, 12.20.2019
- PropertyCasualty360, 10.01.2019
- Birmingham Business Journal, 10.30.2017
- ACC Docket, 10.26.2017
- ACC Docket, 10.26.2017
- "The Additional Insured Conundrum: Who Else is Covered, for What and When?" DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, March 2018
Hastings College of the Law, University of California, J.D.
California Polytechnic State University, B.S.