Lane Finch is an analytical and creative problem solver with almost 35 years of experience advising insurers and policyholders on a broad range of insurance coverage and bad faith claims and inter-insurer disputes involving policy limits up to $500 million. He is recognized by Best Lawyers in the areas of Insurance Law and Litigation. Lane is also registered on the Roster of Mediators and Arbitrators for Alabama State Courts.
For decades, Lane has provided coverage advice, tried and arbitrated insurance coverage and bad faith cases, and represented clients in countless mediations. Those cases involved first and third-party coverage and bad faith claims asserted under property, liability, E&O, D&O and other policies.
In addition to his coverage practice, Lane also acts as a mediator for matters involving insurance coverage, bad faith and inter-insurer disputes. Mediating on behalf of insurers and policyholders for decades taught Lane many valuable lessons he now applies to help parties resolve their insurance-related disputes and solve the coverage problems preventing resolution of other matters.
Lane’s clients benefit from his role and experience as a leader in the insurance industry, including his service as past chair of the Defense Research Institute's (DRI) Insurance Law Committee. Through his DRI leadership, Lane is uniquely positioned to stay abreast of the latest trends in insurance issues, including how courts are behaving and in what direction decisions are trending.
- Registered on Roster of Approved Mediators and Arbitrators for Alabama Courts
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2013-Present
- Top Rated Litigator, Legal Leaders, 2020
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, 20+ years
- Super Lawyers® (Business Litigation), 2008-2009
- Outstanding Subcommittee Chair, ABA Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, 2010-2011
- DRI (Past Chair, Insurance Law Committee; Chair, 2022 Insurance Roundtable; and additional leadership roles)
- American Bar Association (Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee)
- Alabama State Bar
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
In the past year, Lane achieved positive results for clients through summary judgments in coverage cases involving D&O and GL policies. He also successfully mediated a multi-million dollar condo claim, as well as other claims under professional liability and GL policies.
- Birmingham Business Journal , 02.02.2023
- “14 Swift Currie Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers 2019, R. Briggs Peery Named Lawyer of the Year,” Atlanta CityBizList, Metro Atlanta CEO08.17.2018
- “On the Move: Two Swift Currie Attorneys Appointed to Leadership Roles,” Birmingham Business Journal04.20.2018
- 43 Swift Currie Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© 2022 Rankings, Mark Dietrichs Earns Lawyer of the Year08.19.2021
- Swift Currie Partner Lane Finch Appointed as Vice Chair of DRI Insurance Roundtable Steering Committee01.26.2021
- 42 Swift Currie Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers in America© 2021 Rankings, Robert Potter Earns Lawyer of the Year08.20.2020
- 16 Swift Currie Attorneys Recognized in 2020 Best Lawyers in America, C. Bradford Marsh Named Lawyer of the Year08.15.2019
- Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center - San Antonio, TX, 04.05.2022
- Swissôtel Chicago, 07.22.2021
- Webinar, 08.19.2020
- Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, 12.05.2019
- Risk Management, 09.23.2020
- DRI For the Defense, 12.20.2019
- PropertyCasualty360, 10.01.2019
- Birmingham Business Journal, 10.30.2017
- ACC Docket, 10.26.2017
- ACC Docket, 10.26.2017
- "The Additional Insured Conundrum: Who Else is Covered, for What and When?" DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, March 2018
Hastings College of the Law, University of California, J.D.
California Polytechnic State University, B.S.