Carl “Trey” K. Dowdey, III, represents employers, insurance providers and claims professionals in various workers’ compensation cases throughout Alabama. Trey also defends employers against retaliatory discharge and co-employee liability claims, and handles automobile and premises liability defense litigation.
Trey has experience trying both civil jury and bench trials and presenting oral argument to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Additionally, Trey is a member of the Judge Advocate General’s Corps with the U.S. Army Reserve and is the commander of the 139th Legal Operations Detachment. Previously, he commanded the 10th Legal Operations Detachment and was assigned as the staff judge advocate for the 412th Theater Engineer Command, serving as the senior legal adviser to a two-star general.
Trey has tried dozens of workers’ compensation cases and won several defense verdicts, saving clients in excess of $750,000 of alleged damages or workers’ compensation benefits in some matters. Additionally, Trey has argued numerous motions in open, federal and bankruptcy court.
Trey has prosecuted dozens of courts-martial cases while on active duty and managed or handled hundreds of administrative separation boards. He has personally taken hundreds of depositions of plaintiffs, witnesses and doctors.
In addition to his extensive litigation experience, Trey was selected for promotion to the rank of colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve. His experience in the U.S. Army Reserve further elevates his ability to communicate with clients and senior business leaders in a clear and concise manner in order to better understand their business objectives and legal needs.
Trey serves as co-vice chair of the Alabama State Bar Military Law Committee, and he has served on the committee for more than 11 years.
- Army Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Army Achievement Medal
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with “M” device for mobilization and bronze hourglass device
- Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
- Army Service Ribbon
- Global War on Terror Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Meritorious Service Medical with three oak leaf clusters
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
- National Defense Service Medal
- Overseas Service Ribbon
Previously served on the Alabama State Bar Veteran’s Task Force
Previously served on the Alabama State Bar Family Law Committee
Board of Trustees of Shades Crest Baptist Church
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama State Bar, Military Law Committee, Workers' Compensation Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
Trey is an active member in his community, serving on the Board of Trustees of Shades Crest Baptist Church, and he has coached soccer for two of his sons.
- Tried dozens of workers’ compensation cases and argued numerous motions in open, federal and bankruptcy court.
- Tried multiple workers’ compensation cases to successful defense verdicts.
- Received a successful defense verdict on behalf of a client in a dram shop case jury trial involving claimed damages over $250,000.
- Presented oral argument to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- SHRM.org, 10.12.2020
- Daily Report, 01.03.2020
- Business Alabama, Birmingham Business Journal, Birmingham Bar Association Bulletin, Samford University's Cumberland Lawyer Magazine, 04.17.2019
- “Legal Roundup: Swift Currie Adds New Attorneys in Atlanta and Birmingham,” Birmingham Business Journal04.02.2018
- Webinar, 11.05.2020
- Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel, 10.29.2020
- Sheraton Hotel Birmingham, 05.10.2019
- Business Alabama, 04.22.2021
- CLM Magazine, 10.15.2019
- CLM Magazine, 07.11.2019
- CLM Magazine, 05.08.2019
- “Setting the Strategy Stage: Taking the Proper Claims Investigation Steps Early is Key to Managing Recurring Litigation Themes"CLM Magazine, 01.09.2019
- “Alabama’s Booming Manufacturing Sector: Key Points to Know About the Alabama Workers’ Compensation Act"Business Alabama, 10.25.2018
- The Alabama Military Law Symposium 1990-2015, The Alabama Lawyer, November 2015
- "Tricky Work Injury Cases: Injuries While Traveling and at Recreational and Social Functions," Alabama Association of Corporate Counsel, May 2019
- Continuing Education Presentation, Cannon Cochran Management Services, Inc., October 2018
- "Alabama Workers' Compensation Act's Exclusivity Provision and Recognized Exceptions," Alabama Association of Corporate Counsel, March 2018
- The Alabama Military Law Symposium 1990-2015, November 2015