David M. Atkinson has been a trial lawyer since 1991, focusing on civil litigation defense, including tort claims, construction litigation, insurance coverage, business disputes and intellectual property. He has served as lead trial counsel in federal and state courts throughout Georgia and the Southeast, as well as appellate counsel before the Georgia Supreme Court, the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
A regular speaker on insurance and litigation matters, David has chaired annual seminars presented by The Seminar Group titled, “Bad Faith Claims: Extra-Contractual Liability in Georgia,” “Georgia Insurance Law” and “Insurance in the Construction Industry.”
David is a member of the State Bar of Georgia (Litigation Section), American Bar Association (Litigation Section, Tort and Insurance Practice Section and Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee), Atlanta Bar Association, International Association of Defense Counsel, Defense Research Institute, Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, Federal Bar Association, Lawyers Club of Atlanta and Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation. He has also been elected as a fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only trial lawyer society.
David earned his B.A., cum laude, in 1988 from Washington and Lee University and J.D. in 1991 from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William & Mary. He was admitted to the State Bar of Georgia in 1991 and practiced at other law firms prior to founding the firm then known as Magill & Atkinson in 1996.
In 2016, he and his team joined Swift Currie.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2018 – present
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee and Commercial Litigation Committee
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- State Bar of Georgia, Litigation Section
- Law360, 04.25.2019
- “14 Swift Currie Attorneys Recognized in Best Lawyers 2019, R. Briggs Peery Named Lawyer of the Year,” Atlanta CityBizList, Metro Atlanta CEO08.17.2018
- “GDLA Argues 11th Circuit Should Seek Ga. Supreme Court’s Guidance in $8-Million Bad Faith Case,” Law36005.11.2017
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Georgia
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
The Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William & Mary (J.D., 1991)
Washington and Lee University (B.A., 1988)