Richard “Richie” C. Foster represents insurers, trucking and transportation companies and their drivers in litigation matters related to motor carrier liability, commercial insurance coverage and general commercial insurance defense. He has served as lead counsel in more than 100 jury trials throughout his career, often defending clients involved in serious accidents that resulted in catastrophic injuries and death.
Richie also leads the firm’s 24-hour emergency response team that leverages a broad network of investigators and accident reconstruction experts throughout Georgia and the Southeast to assess the details of an incident and assist with next steps.
In addition to advising clients on accident response, regulations issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the nuances of trucking and transportation law, Richie is an experienced litigator committed to client advocacy and their defense in the courtroom. He works to position clients for success and lessen liability when involved in an accident. In one case, he secured a defense verdict of zero dollars in a matter that posed $50 million in potential exposure for his client.
Richie works with some of the nation’s largest trucking companies and the carriers insuring them, which enables him to stay abreast of the latest developments in the industry, such as new technologies and industry standards. His extensive familiarity with the transportation industry allows him to provide valuable perspective on business, safety and legal considerations when counseling his clients before, during and after a claim is litigated.
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Trucking Law Committee
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Southeast Wood Producers Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Transportation Law Association
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
Mr. Foster is married with two sons. In his spare time, he enjoys saltwater fishing and hunting.
- "2019 Georgia Legal Awards - Midsize Firm, Personal Injury Defense: Swift, Currie, McGhee & Hiers,” Daily ReportDaily Report, 06.20.2019
- Fit Small Business, 04.15.2019
- “Legal Roundup: Swift Currie Adds New Attorneys in Atlanta and Birmingham,” Birmingham Business Journal04.02.2018
- “Swift Currie Bolsters Litigation Groups With Three Lateral Partners and 17 New Attorneys,” Metro Atlanta CEO04.02.2018
- Augusta Technical College - Waynesboro Campus, 10.19.2018
- Fleet Owner, 05.05.2020
- “Overcoming Plaintiff Sympathy at Trial,” Arkansas Trucking Seminar, September 2016
- “Trux, Lies and Videotape,” Southeast Wood Producers Association, March 2019
- Legal Assistant
- Legal Assistant
Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer University (J.D., 1995)
Georgia College (B.S., 1988)