Erica L. Morton has more than 15 years of experience defending insurance companies and policyholders in personal injury matters. She also handles a variety of general liability matters for corporate and retail clients who are self-insured or have high deductibles. She has handled a broad array of actions, from slip-and-fall cases and car accidents to negligent security cases involving allegations of sexual assault, as well as wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases. Erica has been instrumental in creating case law at the appellate level addressing the recovery of hospital and medical liens.
Erica brings a well-rounded perspective to her work. After being a personal injury claimant herself and then beginning her career in a plaintiffs' firm, she depends on the understanding and experience she has gained from being on the "other side of the table" as she tenaciously defends her clients.
Erica has a passion for helping her clients work through the challenges that arise in the litigation process and a willingness to explore all options, from mediation to taking a case all the way through trial or appeals. At the same time, she listens to her clients' goals and concerns and tailors legal strategies for each one based on the challenges they may experience throughout litigation or because of the specific circumstances of their cases.
- Georgia Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2010
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, Board Member
- Defense Research Institute
- National Retail & Restaurant Defense Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- State Bar of Georgia
Erica is the mother of two school-aged children and enjoys spending time outdoors with her husband and kids. She has served as an assistant T-ball coach and a Cub Scout den leader.
- Obtained a rare defense verdict in a case involving a rear-end collision with nearly $50,000 in claimed medical special damages.
- Secured several summary judgments for retailers with six-figure medical special damages.
- Obtained a defense verdict in federal court for a regional retailer in a premises liability case with nearly $80,000 in special damages.
- “Legal Roundup: Swift Currie Adds New Attorneys in Atlanta and Birmingham,” Birmingham Business Journal04.02.2018
- “Swift Currie Bolsters Litigation Groups With Three Lateral Partners and 17 New Attorneys,” Metro Atlanta CEO04.02.2018
- Atlanta, GA, 10.27.2023
- Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, 06.07.2019
- State Bar of Georgia, 03.08.2019
- "Trial Techniques for Defending the High Exposure Case: Perils & Pitfalls," GDLA Annual Meeting, June 2019
- "Written Discovery," ICLE Trial & Error Seminar, March 2019
University of Georgia School of Law (J.D., 2004)
College of Charleston (B.S., 2001)