Crystal Stevens McElrath
Employment Counseling & Litigation
- Emory University School of Law (J.D., 2010)
- Emory University (M.T.S., 2010)
- Duke University (Cert. in Nonprofit Management, 2015)
- University of Virginia (B.A., 2006)
Crystal Stevens McElrath focuses her practice in the area of workers’ compensation defense. Ms. McElrath represents employers, insurers, self-insureds and third party administrators in workers’ compensation, subrogation and employment law matters across Georgia. She frequently enjoys writing and presenting on a variety of topics related to workers’ compensation defense strategies.
Ms. McElrath received her law degree from Emory University School of Law (2010) and her Master of Theological Studies from Emory University (2010). While in law school, she served as a summer clerk for the Honorable Stanley Birch, Jr., on the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals as well as the Honorable William Duffey on the District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. Ms. McElrath received her B.A. from the University of Virginia (2006).
Ms. McElrath is a member of the Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys. She previously served as the National Director of Community Service on the Board of Directors for the National Black Law Students Association from 2008-2009.
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
Publications and Presentations
- "Staring Down the Rabbit Hole of Presumption: Death Claims and 'Presumption' in Workers' Comp Claims," Workers' Compensation Institute (April 2013)
- Co-Authored "Practical Aspects of Death Claims and Dependency," ICLE GA Workers' Compensation Law Institute (October 2014)
- "Preventing the Fast-Break: Defending the Workers' Compensation Claim Before it Becomes an Employment Law Lay-Up," Compensation Courier, Defense Research Institute (April 2016)
- "Taboo: Navigating Hiring, Firing, Leave and Disability Conversations without Running Afoul of ADA, FMLA and Workers' Compensation Laws," Presented at the NonProfit Risk Management Center's Risk Summit (September 2016)